CATALYTIC CONVERTER THEFT
What is a Catalytic Converter?
A catalytic converter is an emissions control device that is a part of the exhaust system on vehicles powered by an internal combustion engine. Catalytic converters reduce toxic pollutants by chemically converting carbon monoxide, unburned hydrocarbons, and oxides of nitrogen into harmless compounds.
Why are Catalytic Converters being stolen?
Catalytic converters are targeted for theft because of the precious metals they contain, such as platinum, palladium, and/or rhodium which can yield fast cash to a thief. Because the value of precious metals increasing, the theft of catalytic converters has skyrocketed in many Colorado communities.
Although the theft of a catalytic converter may be lucrative to thieves, vehicle owners can experience up to and in excess of $2,000 in replacement costs.
One of the factors complicating this crime is most catalytic converters are not marked or identified. This creates difficulties for law enforcement in identifying these components as stolen.
Remember, auto theft is a traffic safety concern and auto theft endangers public safety. Help us make Colorado safer for us all! Lock your car and take your keys. EVERY TIME.
How Can I Protect Against Loss of My Catalytic Converter?
- Reduce opportunity for total car theft and component theft by locking your car and taking your keys. Every time. If your vehicle is stolen, it may be recovered but your catalytic converter could be removed in the meantime.
- When not in use, park your car in a secure area, such as a residential garage or secure lot.
- If you can not park your car in a garage, secure your vehicle. Lock your car. Take your keys. Remove or hide valuables from the vehicle to not add “incentive” to the burglary, component theft, or total vehicle theft.
- Contact your insurance company representative to see if your policy covers catalytic converter theft, and if not, what options you may have to add this coverage.
- Contact CATPA for a free CATETch label and additional information regarding other steps you may be able to take to help secure your vehicle and your vehicle’s catalytic converter. Please send an email to email@example.com for further information or visit the Events page to see what opportunities exist in your area.
- Additional information regarding Catalytic Converter label pick up and installation events can be found on our Events page
How Does CatETCH Catalytic Converter Etching Labels Protect My Vehicle?
The CatETCH Catalytic Converter Etching Label is a unique adhesive label that is heat proof, tamper proof, and destruct proof. When installed, the label is coated with a unique marking fluid that is heat activated. This fluid is activated by the natural operation of the vehicle and then uses the label like a stencil to physically etch all of the vital label information into the catalytic converter. The kit includes two window labels to warn would-be thieves that the vehicle is protected. The etching label itself is a great deterrent against theft, but in the event the catalytic converter is stolen -the label, when registered, has a hard connection within a national law enforcement database to the vehicles VIN number.
What does that mean? Firstly, in the event of a theft, when reported that label number becomes marked as stolen in the CatETCH database and the national law enforcement database. Allowing for recyclers and law enforcement to identify the stolen as stolen if they come across it. This also means that it greatly increases law enforcements ability to track and take action against catalytic converter thieves. And finally, if the catalytic converter is in good condition upon recovery it may be re-attached to the vehicle. Saving the owner possible hundreds of dollars. Learn more about how to get involved here.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn about CatETCH Installers in your area!
Partnering Automotive Repair facilities who can install or provide and install CatETCH Labels include:
The Cat Defense Team , Mobile Service in the Denver Metro, total catalytic converter protection including CatETCH labels, high tempt spray paint, and custom cages/protection plates. Rates vary, contact Tom at 303-859-8746 View the complete Cat Defense Team specialty security installation bellow.
Muffler Masters, Colorado Springs, Colorado
Xtreme Auto, Parker, Colorado
Stang Auto, Broomfield, Colorado. Install of DIY kits only
Rocky Mountain Car Care, Broomfield, Colorado. Install of DIY kits only
Expert 4wd and Auto, Loveland, Colorado
Maxtorq Diesel Performance, Inc. Golden, Colorado *Dodge Diesel Cummins Pick Ups Only*
The Toy Doctor, Littleton and South Denver Toyota, Scion, and Lexus Specialists
Mighty Muffler. 5185 W 80th Ave Westminster, CO 80030 (303)-426-1404 Complete Exhaust Repair and Catalytic Converter Protection
Boulder County Press Release Resources available to residents of Boulder County through the CATPA Catalytic Converter Identification and Theft Prevention Grant
Onorato Auto Repair, 730 1st St, Firestone Colorado
Christian Brothers Automotive, Firestone Colorado
Firestone Tires, Firestone Colorado
Brakes Plus, Firestone Colorado